Regardless of the TIC documentation, An user can change the password in TIC admin console and web console.
The "Reset User Password" is for when an user forgets the root password.
When the user knows the root password, he can change it to a new password, but if he forgets the password, he can only reset it(reinstall the TIC server).
In the admin console:
1. - Connect to the TIC server as root.
2. - Right click on the TIC server and choose the menu item "Change Password".
In the Web console:
1. - Login as root.
2. - In Left navigation panel, select Administration->User.
3. - Find the "root" user in the user list.
4. - Choose the user "root".
You should be able to see the "Change Password" link in the Details Panel, under the Authentication Field.