Migrating a DR Series Appliance to QoreStor
Starting with QoreStor 6.0, it is possible to perform an in-place upgrade that converts your DR Series appliance to a QoreStor server. This in-place process preserves your data and storage configuration, and migrates any applicable settings without the need for an intermediate staging server.
IMPORTANT: The procedures in this section are provided for reference only. To ensure a proper migration, you must contact Quest Sales to ensure proper licensing and for further guidance in the migration process.
The in-place upgrade process utilizes a bootable image that can be used with either a USB key or as iDRAC virtual media. The image includes:
- Oracle Linux 7.3
- QoreStor 188.8.131.52
- Upgrade and migration scripts.
The migration requires that you boot the DR Series system to the migration image. At that point, the installer will capture your DR Series settings and configuration, install the operating system and QoreStor application, and import your storage and configuration details. After the installation, QoreStor will be in maintenance mode for some time while consistency checks are performed.
After migration, the QoreStor server will contain three default accounts, with the default credentials as listed below. You must change the default credentials upon logging in.
- root - the default password is generated in the format of "qorestor-<SERVICE TAG>". As an example, a machine with a service tag of 2ZQYBX1 would have a default root password of qorestor-2ZQYBX1. Root logins over SSH are disabled. Only console logins are allowed.
- qsadmin - the default password is St0r@ge!
- qsservice - the default password is "changeme", and must be changed after logging in. Refer to Initial login and changing your password.
IMPORTANT: You must have a valid QoreStor license sufficient for the converted capacity before beginning the conversion process.
Prerequisites for migration
Before migrating your DR Series appliance to QoreStor, ensure that the following prerequisites are met:
- You must have a valid QoreStor license for the desired capacity prior to migration. The converted QoreStor server must be licensed before operations can resume. Contact Quest Sales to ensure that you have the appropriate licensing.
- Your DR Series appliance must be one of the versions below supported for migration:
- DR4100 (with WAM-2)
- DR6000 (with WAM-2)
- Your DR Series software version must be updated with build 4.0.4. This build includes preparation scripts necessary for the migration.
- The configurations below are not supported by the migration process, and will cause the migration pre-checks to fail.
- Storage groups containing more than 63 containers
- Cascaded replications
- Fibre channel connections.
- Rapid Air Gap
NOTE: This list is not exhaustive. Any configuration that causes the migration pre-checks to fail must be corrected before migration can continue.
- Your DR Series is recommended to be connected to the internet.
- All data ingests must be completed.
Preparing your DR Series for migration
Before migrating your DR Series system to QoreStor 184.108.40.206, install the DR Series upgrade file 4.0.4 using the following steps.
Upgrading your DR Series software
You can obtain the latest DR Series system software binary package from the Quest website. You would then upload this file in the DR Series system GUI for the system software upgrade.
NOTE: The DR Series system only supports the copying of upgrade images and diagnostics files to and from the system using WinSCP. The DR Series system does not support the copying or deleting of any other file types using WinSCP. To use WinSCP to copy DR Series software upgrade and diagnostics log files, ensure that the File Protocol mode is set to SCP (Secure Copy) mode.
NOTE: You can use other SCP tools with the DR Series system, but you cannot use these other SCP tools to copy other types of files to or from the DR Series system.
To upgrade the DR Series system software, complete the following steps.
- Using your browser, go to support.quest.com/dr-series, select your specific DR model and then navigate to Download Softwareand click See All Downloads.
- Under Upgrade File, locate the version you want to download, and click the Download button. If you are not logged in, you may be prompted to log in with your registered Quest account.
- Save the latest system software upgrade file to a network location accessible by the DR Series system that is running the browser session started by the DR Series administrator.
- In the DR Series system GUI, in the left navigation menu, click Support > Software Upgrade.
The Software Upgrade page is displayed.
- Click the button, Select DR Binary Package.
- Browse to the location of the of the file you downloaded , select the file, and click Open. The system verifies that the file is the proper format.
- Once the file has been uploaded, on the Software Upgrade page, click Start Upgrade.
Preparing for migration
After updating the DR Series software to patch 4.0.4, follow the steps below to prepare your DR Series for migration.
- [Optional] From the DR command line interface, run the command below. This command evaluates the system to ensure that migration requirements are met. These pre-checks are also performed by the --prepareMigration command during the preparation process.
maintenance --hardware --migrationPreChecks
- From the DR command line interface, run the command below.
maintenance --hardware --prepareMigration
The prompt below will be displayed
This operation will make the filesystem read-only until migrated to QS and pause all active replications.
Do you want to continue (yes/no) [n]?
- Type "y" to continue, "n" to exit. The preparation process will continue, and the DR Series will shutdown when complete.