Windows Registry Disclaimer:
Quest does not provide support for problems that arise from improper modification of the registry. The Windows registry contains information critical to your computer and applications. Make sure you back up the registry before modifying it. For more information on the Windows Registry Editor and how to back up and restore it, refer to Microsoft Article ID 256986 “Description of the Microsoft Windows registry” at Microsoft Support.
To get the Appliance to recognize the USB thumb drive is to reset the registry key for this function.
Here is the workaround:
- Open Registry Editor and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\PowerVault\Appliances\DL\. There is a registry key called "BRMUSBKeySuccessfullyCreated", confirm if the value is "true". If it is "true", this indicates the USB had previously been created successfully.
- Change the value of registry key "BRMUSBKeySuccessfullyCreated" to "false"
- When there no core jobs nor any Appliance functions in process like provisioning, restart the Dell Storage Management Web Service (SRMWebService)
- On the DL Appliance tab, go to "Rapid Appliance Self Recovery" > click on the "Backup" link
- Now the web UI will display a link to "Create RASR USB drive now" in the Appliance tab. You may insert the USB stick and click on this link. Now the Appliance will detect the USB drive and proceed to reformat it to perform the backup of the core the to RASR USB drive.