In this scenario, the AppAssure Core server's operating system has crashed or is not bootable and there is a need to restore the AppAssure Core's configurations, contents, and settings.
The operating system is not working. However, the files on the system drive can be viewed when connected to another computer/server or the Core OS was always backed up to the repository.
The AppAssure core server saves all of its settings in this registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AppRecovery.
The SOFTWARE registry hive can be mounted and exported from another system as long as the files on the system drive or recovery point are viewable.
In order to export and then import the AppRecovery key and its contents, perform the following:
- Open the registry by clicking on Start, Run, and then type regedit, and press Enter.
- Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Select File, and select Load Hive.
- Navigate to the location where the core server's operating system files are located.
- Find the path - C:\Windows\System32\config.
- Select the SOFTWARE hive file and click Open.
- Name the key name something different such as AppAssureSoftwareReg.
- Expand the mounted registry hive AppAssureSoftwareReg.
- Find and select the AppRecovery key.
- Right-click on the AppRecovery key and select Export.
- Select a location to export the AppRecovery key and type a name for it in the File name field.
- Click on Save to save the AppRecovery key.
- In order to import the exported AppRecovery key to the replacement core server's registry, double-click on the AppRecovery registry file and click Yes at the prompt that appears.